A question that is asked quite frequently of Cordial Organics and out in the web discussion venues is, “Can CBD replace my anxiety meds?” Or, “I am depressed, can CBD help?”
More research needs to be conducted and we cannot say for sure either way what impact CBD oil such as Balance has on mental illness, stress, anxiety… This is what we do know.
A Few Facts About Anxiety and Depression in the US
- The U.S. is considered one of the most anxious nations on earth, About one in three Americans can be expected to suffer anxiety at some point in their lifetime.¹
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year.²
- People with anxiety disorders tend to label neutral smells as bad smells. Professor Win Li explains, “In typical odor processing, it is usually just the olfactory system that gets activated. But when a person becomes anxious, the emotional system becomes part of the olfactory processing stream.³
- Anxiety disorders are the most common of mental disorders and will affect nearly 30% of adults at some point in their lives (American Psychiatric Association. “What Are Anxiety Disorders?” APA. Accessed May 14, 2019).
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only 36.9% of those suffering receive treatment
- A study found that four 20-minute meditation classes helped reduce anxiety by up to 39 percent. ⁴
- People with diets that include higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics and b-vitamins tend to be less anxious than those who follow a more “western” diet of processed, fried, or sugary food.⁵
- An estimated 17.3 million adults in the United States had at least one major depressive episode. This number represented 7.1% of all U.S. adults.⁶
- Opioids are often prescribed to treat chronic depression despite also causing depression.⁷
Further, Dr. Sanjay Gupta states, “I have seen this first hand. All over the country, I have met patients who have weaned themselves off opioids using cannabis.”
Now that is an endorsement to promote additional research on the benefits of CBD to reduce anxiety and to determine whether or not CBD can help with depression. Additionally, we do not believe in a magic bullet. We believe that we must do all the things to be healthy in our bodies and minds: Eat well, sleep well, exercise on the regular and take your CBD oil – to name but a few.